Friday, November 11, 2011

I can't help it. I live in a post modern culture.

Seriously.  You want me to change my name?  My NAME?  I don’t have a lot but I have my name.  Fuck Shakespeare and his sentiments on roses.  No.  My name is mine. Mary Mac by any other name would, in fact, NOT smell as sweet. 

I am really blown away by the fact that women still change their names when they get married.  Why?  Why would you do that?  Like... you are already giving part of your identity away when you get married.  You give even more of it away when you give up your name and take the last name of your husband.  And FUCK taking your husband’s first name, too.  Really?  You want to be Mrs. John Doe?  Please.  That makes no sense.  Give me one good reason why a woman in 2011 would take her husband’s name.  And if you name something about it being easier with paperwork and whatnot, fuck that.  No.  Because you are 50% likely to get a divorce anyway, and  you will wish that, for paperwork’s sake, you never changed your damn name in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment