Saturday, March 12, 2011

A time to cry, a time to laugh

As I grow older and experience more life, I come to believe more and more firmly that the ultimate road to happiness, peace, and love is the road of balance. The middle path, if you will.

I'm not talking about compromise; I'm talking about co-operation. Insight. Compassion. Love. Contentment. Future planning. The Ultimate Good. I'm talking about looking at what you've been given at 28 and deciding that you will make something out of it, even if it's not what you had planned at 22. I'm talking about being thankful for what exists. I'm talking about not being bullheaded and complaining about things you disagree with. I'm talking... about balance.

And don't I just sound like a spineless hippie, hm? "Balance, shmalance. I believe in something and so should everyone else! There is only one way to take care of this, and coincidentally, it's my way!" No. There are multiple ways to take care of one matter, and there are multiple viewpoints on one subject, and there are multiple solutions to one problem, and they can all be valid. Your own answer is not the right one. Because -- and this may come as a surprise (it certainly did to me several years ago) -- the world is not an algebra equation. What's true on your page of looseleaf paper in your math class does not equal what's true in life. In life, not every time does A squared plus B squared equal C squared.

Can't we all take a step back and realize this? Can't we all... (at the risk of sounding like a total damn hippie)... just get along? Your answer is not the right one. And neither is mine! But together we can manifest something beautiful that we can all live with and work for.

And maybe I am just idealistic. Maybe I can't actually get everyone in the world to change their road of bullheaded thinking to a road of co-operative balance.

But Ghandi told me to be the change I wish to see in the world. And so I am choosing to walk down my middle path, and to walk down it with hope for the future, with love, and with as much compassion as I can possibly muster in a culture convinced that the duality of black and white is the truth.

He hath made everything beautiful in His time,
M


No comments:

Post a Comment