Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Text Message Conversations (Fainting Couches and Lumberjacks)

Not gonna lie; I spent at least 15 minutes at work today painting this picture over text message:



A.N.:  Work any less hectic today?

Me:  I might describe the past week or 2 as "nightmarish" actually.  It's all good though; whatevs.  They don't pay me to sit around and look cute.  Well, they do.  But they also expect some work product as well.

A.N.:  Can they pay you for something you do naturally?

Me:  I've apparently finagled them into doing it.

A.N.:  I imagine you don't have a desk; you just spend all day lounging on a fainting couch.  You're wearing a dress and looking coy.

A.N.:  ...Do I get too specific sometimes?

Me:  The reference to a fainting couch just blew my mind.

A.N.:  Ya, I do that to people sometimes.

Me:  Yes, well.  I've also been known to wear a strand of pearls and smoke cigarettes through a quellazaire.

A.N.: I feel like this scene needs to be painted.

Me:  I would really love to have like a 16x20 oil painting of this scene, with the setting actually in my cubicle.  My co-workers would die.  What a ridiculous juxtaposition.

A.N.:  Every time you say you're at work, I'm going to think of our imaginary portrait of you.  Even if you drastically change jobs.

Me:  I'm considering lumberjacking in Canada.

A.N.:  ...And now the fainting couch is in the woods.  You look the exact same, pearls and all, but you are also holding an axe.

A.N.:  Oh, and could you also have a pet moose?

Me:  I've already commissioned someone to do the painting and specifically asked for a moose.  And my fringed swinger dress will be red plaid.

A.N.:  Can the pearls be emeralds?  And can you be wearing either boots or red heels?

Me:  I don't like the idea of a strand of emeralds, but i could go with like a huge flashy emerald pendant, And stylized leather boots.

A.N.:  Well.  I just thought the emerald would fit nicely with the forest


Aaaaand an update to this text conversation, which carried over into the next day:


Me:  I just had my annual performance review at work.  They asked me to add a strand of pearls and lounge a little more dramatically on the fainting couch.

A.N.:  Another strand?  Things are coming up, Mary!

Me:  I was pleased with my directives for 2011.  *sigh* Wouldn't that be the perfect job, though?  "Mary, you didn't lounge enough last year.  Please make more effort to make less effort in the upcoming year."

A.N.:  That's where you demand in your contract to be fed grapes.

Me:  hahaa "I'd be happy to oblige to your request Tom, but I've simply not been given the proper tools.  I'll need daily facials and personal grape-feeder."

A.N.:  You may as well throw premium parking in there, too.

Me:  They've provided me a personal chariot, actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment